“Broadway’s Piano Man” Michael Cavanaugh charmed audiences starring in Billy Joel’s musical Movin’ Out on Broadway. Now, he’s on tour and bringing the best of Billy to Houston with your Houston Symphony next weekend, Feb. 26-28, 2010!
Ahead of Cavanaugh’s performances with us, we wanted to pass along a little more information about him. Read up, watch some of his videos, and we hope to see you all at Jones Hall next weekend.
- Michael began playing piano at age 7, when his parents bought their first piano.
- He is most recognized from his lead role in the Broadway musical Movin’ Out. In February 2001, while playing at the New York, New York Hotel and Casino in Las Vegas, Joel himself handpicked Cavanaugh for the role. The two have even performed together on stage!
- Cavanaugh performed in Movin’ Out for three years and close to 1,200 performances, and in 2003, received both Grammy and Tony Award nominations.
- Shortly after his tremendous success in Movin’ Out, Cavanaugh began touring across the country performing before hundreds of thousands of fans at various events, including the PGA Tour, U.S. Open and Indy 500.
- During his concerts in Houston, he’ll perform some of Billy Joel’s hits, including “Only The Good Die Young,” “Uptown Girl” and “New York State of Mind.”
- Click here to check out Michael Cavanaugh’s YouTube channel, where you can see clips of him performing and also hanging out behind-the-scenes.
- Billy Joel has a slew of videos online, and at his official YouTube channel, you can see the latest and greatest of the Piano Man.
- Fan Michael on Facebook to stay up-to-date with his tour, and while you’re there, fan us too!
If you’d like to purchase tickets to Michael Cavanaugh Sings Billy Joel and More, they’re available by calling the box office at (713) 224-7575 or visiting us online.