Met with eager anticipation, the annual Theater District Open House celebrates Houston’s vibrant performing arts scene with performances, specials offers, and free, family-friendly activities. This one-day festival sees thousands of attendees keen to provide patronage to the nine participating arts organizations.
The Houston Symphony’s free concert is the crowning conclusion to a day devoted to what we love—providing accessible, world-class music to the millions of people who call the Houston area home.
Check out these top five reasons you won’t want to miss the 26th Annual T.C. Energy Theatre District Open House on Sunday, August 25.
- Enjoy one-day only steep discounts on subscription packages and select single tickets. Subscribing to the Houston Symphony during Open House is the best way to get the most bang for your buck, with discounts of up to 50% off on concerts in the coming 2019–20 season.
- Ever wonder just what’s inside the gargantuan marble shell of Jones Hall? Get a rare insider look during a behind-the-scenes tour. (Fun fact: Jones Hall’s ceiling can physically be raised or lowered to change its size depending on the crowd!)
- Introduce young minds to the shapes and sounds of music with our Instrument Petting Zoo. This interactive activity allows children to hold and play an assortment of instruments, sparking a lifelong love of music from an early age.
- End your day with a FREE Symphony performance at 4 p.m., as we perform several highlights of the upcoming season—including selections from our two-week long Schumann Festival and music from John Williams’s iconic score for Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back.
- Make musical memories that’ll last a lifetime. With face painting, an interactive drum circle, special giveaways throughout the day, and the opportunity to familiarize yourself with the Houston Symphony, Open House is the perfect entry to the epicenter of Houston’s arts and culture scene.