ABOUT THIS CONCERT
These performances are part of a special two-week festival celebrating the outstanding tenure of Andrés Orozco-Estrada in his final year as Music Director. View the full festival schedule >
On this concert:
- Take in Saint-Saëns’s beloved musical menagerie, The Carnival of the Animals, featuring Principal Keyboard Scott Holshouser and the illustrious Emanuel Ax.
- Principal Second Violin MuChen Hsieh and Acting Principal Viola Joan DerHovsepian share Bruch’s richly melodic “Double Concerto.”
- Principal Trumpet Mark Hughes shines in Jolivet’s brilliant and virtuosic Concertino for Trumpet.
- Be there for the exciting world premiere of Kyle Rivera’s Bridgetower Variations, inspired by music of virtuoso violinist and composer George Bridgetower.
- The concerts close with Dvořák’s exuberant Carnival Overture.
Student Tickets: This concert is eligible for students to attend at a discounted rate. Visit our Student Tickets page for more information.
How to View the Concert Livestream Video
On the day before the concert, ticketholders will receive an email with a link to the video. We recommend you access the link at least 10 minutes before the concert begins. If you do not receive a link, please check your spam or junk folder.
SELECT CONCERT DATE:
BRIDGETOWER/K. RIVERA Bridgetower Variations (Houston Symphony commission, world premiere)
SAINT-SAËNS The Carnival of the Animals
BRUCH Double Concerto Violin, Viola and Orchestra
JOLIVET Concertino for Trumpet, Piano and Strings
J.-B. ARBAN/M. NAKARIAKOV Variations on “The Carnival of Venice”
DVOŘÁK Carnival Overture, Op. 92