Requirements and Eligibility
2017 REQUIREMENTS & ELIGIBILITY:
- Age and career path: Contestants must be between the ages of 16 and 26 as of June 1, 2017. Contestants must be current undergraduate or graduate music students or must have recently graduated (within four years of degree completion). Contestants must be intending to pursue a musical career. Those holding full-time orchestral positions are not eligible to participate. Former first or second place winners are not eligible to participate.
- Citizenship: The Ima Hogg Competition is open to citizens or lawful permanent residents of the United States or to foreign students currently enrolled in a U.S. college, university or conservatory.
- Instrument Eligibility: The Ima Hogg Competition is open to the following standard orchestral instruments: piano, violin, viola, cello, bass, flute, oboe, clarinet, bassoon, horn, trumpet, trombone, tuba, harp, and marimba.
- Availability: In addition to availability during the competition week, contestants must be available to be present in Houston on ALL of the dates below, should they need to fulfill duties of the first or second place winners. Failure to appear for these obligations will affect the total prize, including but not limited to forfeiting the cash prize.
May 29 - June 3, 2017 - Competition Week
June 29 - July 1, 2017 - Second Prize performance/rehearsal
July 11-14, 2017 - First Prize performance/rehearsals
- Education & Community Engagement Residency: The contestant must be amenable, if selected as the first place winner, to return during a mutually agreed upon 3-5 days within the 12 months following the 2017 Ima Hogg Competition for an Education and Community Engagement Residency. During this residency, the contestant will receive professional development training for work in this field in preparation for providing educational clinics and/or performances that are strategically designated to benefit Houston’s community. Expenses for transportation (domestic flights only) and housing accommodations for this opportunity will be covered by the Houston Symphony.
- Competition Fees: Applicants must submit the $100.00 application fee to participate in the Preliminary round. If accepted as a Semi-finalist, the Houston Symphony will provide both airfare and housing accommodations. Travel arrangements (round-trip domestic flights or mileage up to $500.00) and host families accommodations will be provided between Monday, May 29 and Sunday, June 4, 2017.
- Repertoire: The list of repertoire requirements for all rounds of this Competition (Preliminary, Semi-final and Final rounds) can be found here. There are no exceptions to this list.
- Submission Deadline: All application materials (Preliminary round recordings, $100.00 application fee, questionnaire, bio (200 word-count), headshot and letter of recommendation) should be submitted by Friday, January 15, 2017 through Acceptd.
CLICK HERE TO APPLY THROUGH ACCEPTD