1. Application Submission: All application materials should be submitted by Sunday, January 15, 2017 through Acceptd. This includes submission of the preliminary round recordings, questionnaire, biography (200 word-count), headshot, letter of recommendation, acknowledgement of terms and eligibility and the application fee.
2. Preliminary Round Recording Submission: Contestants must submit Preliminary Round recordings consisting of the required work for each instrument, plus two contrasting movements selected from the list of approved concertos. Repertoire title, movement (if separate) and composer should be clearly labeled on the title of the recording. Please eliminate your name from the recording title.A field of approximately ten semi-finalists will be chosen from the preliminary round.
Recordings submitted should include:
- The required work for contestant’s instrument; accompaniment is required if scored.
- Two contrasting movements from the list of approved concertos; accompaniment is optional.
3. Announcement of Semi-Finalists: Contestants will be notified of their status by March 15, 2017.
4. Semi-Finals (Thursday, June 1, 2017): Semi-Finalists must be prepared to perform two concertos, selected from the list of approved concertos. At least one of these must be approved for the finals, marked with an asterisk (*). Concertos must be performed from memory. The judging panel will ask for portions of the two concertos they wish to hear during the semi-finals round. 28 minutes are allotted for each semi-finalist.
5. Announcement of Finalists: Four finalists will be announced after the semi-finals performances on Thursday, June 1, 2017 at approximately 5:00pm.
6. Finals (Saturday, June 3, 2017): The Finals round will be performed with the Houston Symphony. A field of no more than four finalists will be selected from the Semi-finals. Finalists will perform a complete concerto from the list marked with an asterisk (*). Concerto must be performed from memory. Following the announcement of the finalists on Thursday afternoon, the four finalists will be provided with a detailed schedule which will include a meeting on Thursday evening with the finals concert conductor, as well as rehearsals with orchestra that take place on Friday, June 2 and Saturday, June 3, 2017. Contestants must adhere strictly to this schedule and must be on time to all obligations. Results will be announced at the conclusion of the Finals Round.
Judges: A distinguished panel of judges, representing leaders in musical fields, will judge the Semi-Final and Final rounds of the Competition. Houston Symphony artistic personnel will judge the Preliminary round.